I got this oxtail from meat aisle in a supermarket, it is very rare to see oxtail there, not all the supermarket sell this thing. Its quite cheap for 500 gr. I used a bit more than half package for this recipe, and put the rest on the freezer. I'll cook again with different recipe next time, called fried beef oxtail.
I don't have a pressure cooking, so i must cook them for very long, but its worth it effort. I usually buy the oxtail soup from Indonesian restaurant here, i guess they cook them for 1-2 days (LOL), because their oxtail are sooo tender... I tried to remember the taste of that soup when I'm making my own soup, because i never make this on my own before, and i want to make as authentic as possible, only use my feeling.
And the result is great, taste good, delicious, yummy, tender!!.
Sop Buntut ( Beef oxtail soup)
- 300 g beef oxtail
- 1500 ml water
- 1 large carrot, thick sliced
- 1 celery stalks , thick sliced
- 2 potatoes,cut into cube
- 50 gr green peas
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stalk
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to season
- In a large pot, add beef oxtail and water, simmer until the oxtail very tender (for 2-3 hours). Or use a pressure cooker for shorter cooking. Add more water if needed .
- In a small pan, cook garlic and ground pepper until fragrant . Add to the oxtail broth.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, cardamom and season with sugar and salt.
- Add carrot, potatoes and celery , simmer again for 40 minutes, until the vegetables is tender.
- Add cooked green peas, serve with sambal and warm rice.