The actual recipe using a whole fish, but it takes a long time to manage them, and needs a lot of oil to fry, so i choose the flat head fish (they using the same fish for fish and chips), its quicker but yummy, you can even grill the fish instead of fry (for healthier choice).
So if you feel bored with the fish and chips, why not try this recipe? , i guarantee you will like it, and might addicted too :) . By the way its good for kids too (without the chili of course) and better than fish and chips, they will like it too, just like Ellyn.
So here is the recipe:
Pesmol Ikan ( Fried Fish with Yellow gravy)
- 500 gr fish
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut into julienne
- 5 small red chili
- 200 ml water
- 3 cm galangal, bruised
- 3 salam leave (Indonesian bay leave)
- 1 lemongrass,bruised
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 small brown onion
- 4 garlic clove
- 2 cm turmeric ( i teaspoon powder)
- 4 candle nut
- pinch of salt
- Marinate a whole fish with lime juice, leave it for 15 minutes, then rinse off the fish, rub it with a pinch of salt and leave it again for 15 minutes. ( skip this stage for the flat head fish).
- Fried the fish until golden brown, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil, then add the grind ingredients, lemongrass,galangal and salam leave, cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in water, let it it boil, then add carrot, chili and sugar, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add cucumber, cook again until the gravy slightly thicken.
- Arrange the fish on the plate, then pour in the gravy.
- Serve with warm rice.