As i said before I'll started to cook more traditional Indonesian food, but very slowly because i still find it hard to grind many ingredients, as well as my time, I'm busy all the time with my daughter, because she always need my attention.
I used to have this soup a lot before, it has a unique taste, because of the special ingredient called "kluwek", they have very black colour. Here is the recipe
Rawon ( Javanese style of black beef soup)
- 250 gr diced beef
- 1000 ml water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 50 gr bean sprouts (from mung bean)
- 2 spring onion, sliced
- 2 stalk lemon grass, brushed
- 3 lime leaves
- 3 cm galangal,brushed
- 4 black nuts/kluwek (you can find it in Indonesian grocery store)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 eschalots/small brown onion(bawang merah)
- 1 cm turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 candle nut
- 1 tsp salt
- Stir grind ingredients (paste) in a large saucepan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add diced beef, stir for further 3 minutes, until change colour.
- Add water, simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with bean sprouts and sliced spring onion.
Source:Aneka masakan jawa (Demedia Pustaka)