- 650 gr lean beef mince
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 onion spring (shallot) , chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 x 700g tomato passata
- 1/2 cup grated taste cheese
- Place mince beef, breadcrumbs,onion spring, oregano and garlic in a large bowl and season to taste. Mix well to combine. Roll mixture into 16 balls.
- Spray a non stick frying pan with cooking oil spray and heat on medium-high. Cook meatballs for 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Meanwhile, heat passata in a saucepan for 5 minutes, until warm. Transfer meatballs to a greased baking dish. Pour over passata and scatter with cheese.
- Place under a hot grill for 5 minutes, until cheese melts. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Source: Australian Table Magazine, April 2008
Tip: Tomato passata is a pure tomato sauce, available in bottles or large jars from the supermarket