I always love this side dish, very simple recipe for me, i served with BBQ steak (Now that my hubby got a new BBQ, he will make BBQ every 2nd day, hihihi...), this photo taken at night time, i wouldn't try to take a pic with my pocket camera, but i thought I'll try my new gadget (not bad for beginners isn't it?), with limited skill and lighting, next time i hope will be better, it still part of my learning and practice " practice makes perfect".
And that's why i wasn't post any food last week, I was busy experimenting with my new camera, and i don't want to post my photo if the result's disappointing. Anyway this recipe i took from Super Food Ideas - June 2004 , Page 52.
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1kg Desiree potatoes
- 300ml carton pouring cream (see variation)
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a 6cm deep, 15cm x 24cm (base) ovenproof dish.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 4 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat. Set aside. Slice potatoes into 5mm-thick rounds. Pour cream into a jug. Add nutmeg, and salt and pepper. Whisk with a fork to combine.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes over base of prepared dish. Top with a layer of onion. Drizzle with a little cream mixture. Repeat layers until all ingredients have been used.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Remove foil. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until top is golden.