Orange season at the moment here, we always got heaps of fruit from my mother in law, she always brought us every weekend, I'm lucky so that i don't have to do fruit shopping, but not only that, she's always very kind to me and my baby girl, maybe because she never had her daughter in her life.
When i told my hubby on the phone, that i made this orange cake, he is so happy to hear that, he said he never had that cake since he was a little boy, when his Mom used to make that cake for him, so its kind a special for him. I don't think that i ever make this cake before. And I never expect that is so special cake for him, and when he tested he said Yummy... so my hard work paid off ^_^. The next day he brought some to his work for coffee break, he love it so much...
I can always put orange butter cream or cheese frosting for topping, but i made it simple this time, we're not a big fan of butter cream, as usual my daughter tested a piece, she's smiling when she eat them, that means Yummy...
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 80 gr unsalted butter, chopped and softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, lightly grease the base of a 23cm round cake tin, and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and custard powder into a large bowl and add the juice, orange rind, butter, egg and the sugar. Beat with electric mixer for 4 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Leave the cake in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.