The original recipe is sausage rolls, but i wanna make it a bit more healthier with some vegetables on it, so i add some baby spinach, besides it makes the food looks more colourful and pretty.
This is lazy but yummy recipe for me, because i used thawed frozen pastry,only need less than half an hour to prepare and cook them, so if you being lazy to cook tonight, why not try this recipe? :) Kids will love it too.
I usually cook the sausage on the BBQ, but i don't like to eat burnt stuff on the skin, they're a bit bitter and ugly colour , another alternative is on the grill or the oven, but if i cooked them too long the skins will be shrunk and tough, so its tricky handling the sausage by it self for me. With the pastry around the sausage makes it on their original shape and cook evenly.
Spinach and sausage rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100 gr baby spinach, washed
- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 thick beef / lamb sausages
- tomato chutney and salad greens, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place 1 square on workbench. Brush 1 edge with egg. lay some spinach over pastry. Top with 1 sausage. Roll up pastry to enclose sausage, with egg-brushed edge on top. Press to secure. Place, seam side down, on tray. Repeat with remaining pastry, egg, spinach and sausages. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and pastry is golden. Serve with chutney and salad.