- 500 ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 250 gr spicy Italian sausages,skins removed ( i used beef sausage)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 450g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Chopped parsley & grated parmesan to serve
- Put the stock in a saucepan on the stove and keep at a gentle simmer.
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add sausage meat and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, squashing it with a spoon to break it up.
- Add onions and garlic, and cook gently for 10 minutes or until onion is soft and golden.
- Add diced tomatoes, and simmer over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the rice, making sure it is heated through.
- Begin to add the hot stock, a large ladleful at a time, stirring gently until each ladleful is almost absorbed into the rice. The risotto should be kept at a bare simmer throughout the cooking, so do not let the rice dry out - add more hot stock as necessary.
- Continue until the rice is tender and creamy, but the grains still firm. This should take between 15 and 20 minutes, depending on the type of rice used ? look at the manufacturer's instructions.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper . Cover and rest for a couple of minutes to allow the risotto to relax . You may like to add a little more hot stock just before you serve to loosen it, but don't let the risotto hang around too long or the rice will turn mushy.
- Serve in warm bowls, sprinkled with parmesan and garnished with parsley, if desired.