Thursday, December 24, 2009
My favorite breakfast back when i liven in Indonesia, apart from fried rice is this Chicken porridge in Yellow broth, the Men usually sell them in the traditional vendor, by walking from one to the other place/ village.
There are few different version of Chicken porridge, mostly people make it without yellow broth, which is similar to the original version from Chinese cuisine. For me i will do whatever it takes to satisfied my food craving :) I will make my favorite food from scratch to get the perfect taste i desire.
In western country, this dish would be suitable for cold weather, just like soup. A bit complicated but worth to try.
Recipe taken from Rurie's blog with a little revised by Me.
Bubur Ayam Kuah Kuning // Chicken Porridge in Yellow Broth
- 300 gr rice
- 3 ltr water
- 4 salam leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 700 gr chicken
- kecap manis
- 2 stalks spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 stalks Asian celery, finely sliced
- Fried onion
- Cakwe (Chinese long Donut)
- Fried soybean (kedelai goreng)
- Krupuk/emping shrimp crackers/ bitter crackers)
- 12 shallots
- 5 garlic
- 3 cm turmeric
- 2 tsp coriander, dry- roast
- 5 candlenuts, dry- roast
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
For the yellow chicken broth:
- 1.5 ltr chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- Some pinch of ground nutmeg
- Cook the rice, water and salam leaves until soft and turned into porridge. If rice hasn't turn into porridge, add more hot water and continue cooking and stirring.
- Boil chicken until soft, set aside the broth. When it's not so hot anymore, fried the chicken until golden brown and shred.
- Make the yellow chicken broth; heat vegetable oil, saute spice paste with nutmeg and salt until fragrant. Add chicken broth, mix well and continue cooking until boiling, season.
- Serve porridge with chicken broth, add kecap manis, shredded chicken, sliced spring onion, Asian celery, fried onion, fried soybean, cakwe, sambal and shrimp crackers.