Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Hot Cross Buns
My baking mood is back, yeahh...
After i baked many things, photograph and upload on my computer then, who's gonna eat my cakes and sweets i made??, believed or not this hot cross buns i made last week and i still have the left over (getting bored having them for breakfast every morning :P ).
Yesterday i made banana Muffin, i already gave away some for my friend plus eat them as well with my hubby, today i made an attempt to bake macaroons (failed), and yummy Plum & Chocolate Clafoutis, there are lots more left over in my fridge!!. I actually gave some of the clafoutis to my next door neighbour, but still ending up with the left over.
By the way, there is a funny story on the day i finished baking my hot cross buns..
I was so exhausted that day after baking these buns, so i went to my room and lying down while Ellyn playing by herself in the family room. After a while, i heard a little foot running back and forward very quickly on the wooden floor (i thought she will go to my room as usual but not.
So i got curious and got up to find out, and there is a panic-ing little girl tried to swallow whole buns in her little mouth but couldn't, she said "Mommy, hug.. hug.." (she was looking so scared afraid that i will be so angry with her, and when her daddy coming to find out too (he was in the spare bedroom), "what happened?" he said , "she was stealing my buns from the kitchen bench" i said, she's even more panic and said "sorry, sorry, sorry daddy" and began to cry, so he just cuddling him cos he felt sorry to see her begging for an apology and cried so badly, " next time you ask mommy ok?, no stealing" he said " Ok daddy" she replied.
My poor girl.. she always feels like snacking and those buns surely was tempt her so much, i already gave her half buns before this happened cos her daddy doesn't want her to have too much, but she actually stole 1 1/2 ( the other half i threw away), all together she ate 2!
Can never forget that moment :)
* 7g sachet (2 teaspoons) dry yeast
* 1/4 cup caster sugar
* 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk, warmed
* 2 1/2 cups plain flour
* 1 teaspoon mixed spice
* 50g butter, chilled, chopped
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 3/4 cup sultanas
* 1 teaspoon powdered gelatine
* 1/3 cup plain flour
* 1 tablespoon caster sugar
1. Grease a 4cm-deep, 18cm x 28cm (base) slice pan. Place yeast, sugar and milk in a bowl. Stir until combined and yeast is dissolved. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until foamy.
2. Sift flour and mixed spice into a bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of flour mixture. Add yeast mixture, 1/4 cup warm water, egg and sultanas. Stir to combine. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth. Form into 12 balls. Place balls in prepared pan, 1cm apart. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or until balls double in size.
4. Make flour paste: Whisk flour, sugar and 1/4 cup cold water together in a jug. Spoon into a snap-lock bag. Snip off 1 corner from bag. Pipe crosses onto buns. Bake buns for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
5. Place 3 teaspoons hot water in a jug. Sprinkle gelatine over water. Stir with a fork until gelatine dissolves. Turn buns onto a wire rack. Brush tops with gelatine mixture. Allow to cool. Serve.
By the way, i think i forgot to say HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010 EVERYONE, wish you all the best!!
Posted by Ti at Wednesday, January 06, 2010
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment