Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Es Cendol (Es Dawet) // Cold pandan dessert with coconut milk and sugar topped with Jackfruit - Masak Bareng
The dessert's basic ingredients consist of coconut milk, starch noodles with green food coloring (usually sourced from the pandan leaf), and palm sugar. Red beans, glutinous rice, grass jelly, creamed corn, and shaved ice are optional additions. Cendol has become a quintessential part of cuisine among the multi-racial population in Southeast Asia and is often sold by vendors at roadsides, hawker centres and food courts.
Cendol vendors are a common sight in Indonesian cities. In the Javanese language, cendol refers to the jelly-like part of the beverage, while the combination of cendol, palm sugar and coconut milk is called dawet. (Wikipedia)
"Masak Bareng" event this time refer to the cold drinks on Ramadan (Fasting Mont or Holly Month for Muslim), it is very common to serve sweet dessert or drinks for break the fast and there are lots more dessert vendors we could find, during this time of the month (only).
I used my big pasta strainer to make this because i don't have that special strainer for Cendol, tiring but worthed... and my Hubby plus Daugher love it!
650 ml air // water
2 sdm air daun suji pandan// pandan Leave--i used drops of pandan paste
75 g tepung hunkwe // mung bean flour
25 g tepung beras // rice flour
1 liter santan dari // 1000 ml coconut milk
1/2 sdt garam// salt
1 lembar daun pandan, potong-potong // pandan leave- make a kno
250 g gula merah// coconut sugar
75 g gula pasir// sugar
150 ml air// water
5 mata nangka, buang bijinya, potong kecil// Jackfruit, cut into small diced
Es batu, hancurkan // Crushed ice
Cara membuat:// Method >
1. Cendol: Campur tepung hunkue dan tepung beras dengan 200 ml air. Masak sisa air bersama air daun suji hingga mendidih. // Mix together 200 ml water mungbean flour and rice flour.Boil the remain water(800ml) with pandan paste.
2.Masukkan larutan tepung hunkue sambil aduk cepat hingga bening dan matang. Angkat.// Add mungbean mixture and whisk generously until clear or cooked. Set aside.
3. Siapkan cetakan dawet, taruh di atas baskom berisi air es. Tuangkan adonan panas ke atas cetakan, gosok-gosok hingga butiran dawet jatuh ke baskom.Tiriskan, rendam dalam air matang dingin. Sisihkan.// Prepare ice water on the big bowl, pour in the hot mixture trough the strainer, use spoon to push if necessary, on top of the ice water bowl.
Kuah:// Syrup : Rebus santan bersama semua bahan hingga mendidih. Angkat, dinginkan. Angkat, saring. // Mix all the ingredient together and boil, set aside, cooled.
Penyajian: // how to serve: Taruh cendol di gelas-gelas saji. Beri es, kuah santan gula merah, terakhir nangka, Sajikan dingin. // Prepare dessert glass, add Cendol, crushed ice, syrup and topped with diced jackfruit.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Hello Everyone, seems like an ages I've been neglected my Blog, so dusty in here, Hehe...
Well apart from my busy days, it has been very cold and dark earlier in the winter here, that makes me lazy to take a picture due to lack of lighting, but of course I'm still cooking variety of food everyday.
I also busy with my one and only daughter Ellyn, she's growing up a lot faster than i thought! She's a chatterbox girl yet very clever :)
Before i forget (although it's a bit late), i wanted to say, happy Fasting for my Muslim friends all over the world! Happy Ramadan. here is a smile from my daughter.
Btw i hope you had a great time and enjoy my Picture plus the recipe...
(this is one of the menu on my Wedding feast!)
Semur Betawi (Sweet Spiced Beef in Jakarta Style)
* 500gr of beef meat, cut into diced
* 200gr of washed potatoes, cut into 2
* 6 cloves of small brown onion
* 4 cloves of garlic
* 2 cm of ginger,bruised
* 4 candle nuts
* 1tsp of ground coriander
* 1tsp of ground white pepper
* 2tsp of ground nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp cumin
* Salt & Pepper
* 2 dried cloves
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 2 tomato, cut into 4
* 5 Tbsp of sweet soy sauce (indonesian kecap manis)
* 1 tbsp cooking oil
* 100 ml water
Fried Shallot to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a big pot, sauteed the grind ingredients, add meat, cook until colour has changed.
2. Add tomatoes, Sweet soy sauce, Cinnamon stick, cloves. Stir until mixed together, then pour in the water.
3. Simmer until all the water absorbed and meat is tender.
Sprinkle with fried shallot
Serve with Rice.