browkus" width="333" height="500">
Some peoples must be wondering, what is the steamed brownies? how is it taste like?. And I bet when you see these pictures you think this is just a chocolate cake.
It is brownies, but steamed! . Well for Indonesian this unique cake is not unusual, there is very famous bakery shop in Bandung west Java selling the most delicious steamed brownies.
This brownies is not like any common brownies (well of course, because it is steamed and layered :P). I mean yes it looks like layered chocolate cake rather than brownies, as well as the moisture of the brownies and the sweetness. Because we use caster sugar plus sweetened condensed milk for the middle layer. But still we don't call it chocolate cake :).
Lucky me. I still have my huge steamer so I could fit my rectangular tin special for this brownies (import from Indonesia). I got the recipe from NCC written by Mrs. Liem.
Unfortunately, I didn't make enough batter of the middle part :( Anyway there is no doubt with the taste though...
Warning: Highly addictive & High in Cholesterol
kukus" width="500" height="333">
Ny.Liem Steamed Brownies
* 6 eggs
* 225 gr caster sugar
* a pinch of Vanilla powder
* a pinch of salt
* 1 / 2 tsp emulsifier
* 125 g Flour (lsifted with cocoa powder)
* 50 gr cocoa powder
* 175 ml vegetable oil
* 100 g Dark Cooking Chocolate (melted and mixed with oil)
*75 ml sweetened condensed milk
1. Heat a steamer. Greased the tin with oil.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until half fluffy , and add the emulsifier. Beat again until fluffy.
3. Add the flour and cocoa powder mixture gradually, stirring until smooth .
4. Add a mixture of oil and DCC, stirring until smooth , set aside.
5. Divided into 3 batter in the bowl . Add sweetened condensed milk to the batter no 2 and mix well .
6.Pour the 1st batter the first batter to the tin and steam for 10 minutes, then pour in the 2nd batter and steam for another 10 minutes, then add the last batter and steam for 20 minutes or until cooked.
I usually eat them with sprinkled cheddar cheese :)
Make sure to heat the steamer and dont open the lid before 10 minutes each time
Also it's a good idea to wrap the lid with towel so the the steam is not dripping to the tin.